Review: iRig MIX is the perfect iOS mixer
The iRig MIX ($99) is the portable DJ mixer that I’ve been waiting for. Ever since it was announced I couldn’t wait to get my hands on MIX because it’s designed specifically for iOS devices like the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad and it’s a mobile DJ’s dream come true.
The iRig MIX is a powerful mobile mixer with the same controls (crossfader, cues, EQ, volume controls, etc.) that you’d find on a professional DJ mixer — in an ultra-compact package. It measures 8.5 x 4.5 x 1.81 inches and weighs just 10.4 ounces.
Sure, there are other svelte mixers on the market (I usually tote a Numark M1 when I’m not lugging my 15 pound Pioneer DJM-900) but the iRig MIX is different because it was designed for mixing audio from portable devices. In addition to iPods and iPads MIX includes a guitar/microphone input that can be used with apps like AmpliTube and VocaLive or any other apps that offer real-time audio effects and processing.
It includes standard 1/8-inch stereo mini inputs so all you have to do is plug one end of the (included) stereo-mini cable into your iPhone or iPad’s headphone jack and the other end into the back of the iRig MIX. Then simply connect iRig MIX to a pair of powered speakers (or a PA) and you’re cutting and scratching with the best of them.
If you don’t have two iOS devices, no sweat. You can mix and blend from a single iOS device because the output from the iRig MIX can be split into dual-mono and sent to two separate channels with the flip of a switch.
iRig MIX can also mix any audio source with an iOS device with automatic beat matching via X-Sync in the DJ Rig iOS app (free, App Store) a first on a DJ mixer. It’s also compatible with a huge variety of iOS DJ apps making it an excellent mixer choice for any DJ on the go.
- 2 stereo inputs with gain, bass, treble and volume controls, independent cue on each channel with LED indication and channel cross-fader
- Instrument/microphone/extra input with volume control can be processed by iOS apps (such as AmpliTube, VocaLive)
- Stereo output with RCA connectors, master level and LED meters
- High quality, pristine sound
- Quality headphone output for master or cue monitoring with independent volume control
- Input switch splits Input 1 into dual-mono for use with DJ mixing apps on a single iOS device
- “X-Sync” mode allows auto-sync with any audio source using the free DJ Rig app
- Can also be powered with battery packs and mobile chargers
- Includes 4 free apps: DJ Rig, AmpliTube, VocaLive, GrooveMaker
About Jason D. O’Grady
Jason O’Grady is a journalist and author specializing in mobile technology. He has published six books on Apple and mobile gadgets and his PowerPage blog has been publishing for over 17 years.